From Dan Lewis <elderdanle...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CVE-2012-0037: OpenOffice.org data leakage vulnerability
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2012 11:36:57 GMT
On Thu, 2012-03-22 at 15:17 -0700, Terry wrote:
> This quote from the page mentioned by Rob:
>
> <quote>Linux and other platforms should consult their distro or OS vendor for patch
instructions.</quote>

> My distro doesn't support OpenOffice; most, I gather, don't.

     There is still a group of people using linux who have been ignored:
the people who have downloaded their copy of OOo from the OOo website. I
fall into this category.
     Seems to me that if you are going to issue patches for Windows and
OSX for which you provide downloads from your website, you should
provide a patch for the rest of the versions available as binaries for
downloading from it.
     As far as compiling the patch, how many of the group I mentioned
know how to compile the patches for their version? I don't, and likely
many others don't either. In fact, I have never been able to compile any
program following directions. I always have gotten one or more errors
and not known what had caused the mistake nor how to fix it. That is why
I download and install binaries.
     Fortunately for me, I have already downloaded from the BuildBot on
3/10/12 so I've gotten the patch applied.

--Dan