From Terry <terauck-aou...@yahoo.com.au>
Subject Mozilla-like installation for Linux?
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2012 05:56:00 GMT
The post below reminds me of an old chestnut.  Linux versions are now
packaged as rpms or debs.  That could be problematic if the installer
works in a way which is incompatible with a particular operating system (OS).

That problem is always on my mind.  Try as I have, I have been unable to find (so far) a
Linux OS which suits me as well as my present one.  I have also been unable to find a Linux
operating system which supports OpenOffice.  Sooner or later, I will quite possibly have
to switch to LibreOffice just because the OO installer borks my OS.

My recollection is that several years ago there was at least a
discussion about the possibility of a package of the same kind as
Firefox and Thunderbird.  Mozilla provides a compressed folder
containing everything you need apart from plugins and, I dare say,
Mozilla could include plugins if it wanted to.

In other words, the Mozilla software does NOT interfere with the operating system.  It is
self-contained.

That may be too big an issue for bugs.  Does anyone think it worth raising the issue and,
if so, through which channel?

Terry