From Terry <>
Subject Mozilla-like installation for Linux?
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2012 05:56:00 GMT
The post below reminds me of an old chestnut.  Linux versions are now
packaged as rpms or debs.  That could be problematic if the installer
works in a way which is incompatible with a particular operating system (OS).

That problem is always on my mind.  Try as I have, I have been unable to find (so far) a
Linux OS which suits me as well as my present one.  I have also been unable to find a Linux
operating system which supports OpenOffice.  Sooner or later, I will quite possibly have
to switch to LibreOffice just because the OO installer borks my OS.

My recollection is that several years ago there was at least a
discussion about the possibility of a package of the same kind as
Firefox and Thunderbird.  Mozilla provides a compressed folder
containing everything you need apart from plugins and, I dare say,
Mozilla could include plugins if it wanted to.

In other words, the Mozilla software does NOT interfere with the operating system.  It is

That may be too big an issue for bugs.  Does anyone think it worth raising the issue and,
if so, through which channel?