From Terry <>
Subject Re: Report a bug
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2012 06:38:47 GMT

I was not aware that the saved version could be lost simply because the document was open
at the time of crash.  I have occasionally shut the system down inadvertently while documents
were open and have suffered no loss.  Perhaps the operating system has that covered?

>3) The user loses both versions of the document as well as corrupts
>their file system causing other, totally unrelated files to be lost.
>Anyone remember #3, how things were 20 years ago?  Hopefully OS
>vendors have generally solved that problem.  But I think we know how
>to solve, or at least reduce problem #2.  The trick is to reduce the
>"window of vulnerability" for total loss by saving initially to a
>temporary file, and only after the file is completely saved then
>rename it. Since an OS-level rename operation is lighting fast, you
>reduce your risk.  And if power does go out during the rename
>operation, modern OS's will know enough to rollback the file names so
>you still have your temporary file in place.  Then the app can check
>for any temporary files when it loads and offer to restore them.
>So it is possible to do something reasonable here.   Of course, in
>case 1) above, auto backup is your friend.

Doesn't auto backup occur only when a document is being saved?

<End of comments>  Regards, Terry
>>> Hi,
>>> first, thank you for all the products of open office.
>>> i want to tell you that when the file(.odt) is saving and if the computer
>>> shute down(simultanesly), the file became empty when the computer is
>>> restarted.
>>> thank you again.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: