From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: A moderator's view of this list [was: Re: I Hate Your Product]
Date Sat, 31 Mar 2012 17:46:51 GMT
I agree with Rob that there is something about how the use cases don't seem to fit.  Alternatives
would be valuable.

I am not clear how the StackExchange sites are appealing for novices though.  It strikes me
that those venues are definitely oriented toward power users and enthusiasts, at least: <http://stackexchange.com/sites?view=list#questionsperday>.
 I have a standing query for StackExchange posts that mention OpenOffice and there are 1-2
per day, tops.  These are usually not beginner questions.  Some could be answered on the Community
Forums but I would not ever expect to see most of those on this list, for example.

If there were an OpenOffice exchange for the OpenOffice.org-lineage products, I am not certain
that the StackExchange requirements for a sustaining site would be satisfied, although I see
a large number of low-activity StackExchange sites on the end of that list.

I think there is another factor too.  My sense is that many users do not want to bring their
problems to a public setting.  That may well be without ever using a public list.  The "fear
of embarrassment" threshold appears to be very low.  I suppose that is an invariant, but it
is probably a good reason for us to be very careful with newcomers who have shown the courage,
perhaps the anger, to bring themselves here or to a forum.

I think that ways to provide assistance via the product is also important to consider, although
it is known that help systems are under-used.

I support consideration of all the avenues that may improve the success of users who stumble
in their installation and use of the software and/or their use of support resources.

Meanwhile, I also think there is significant room for improvement of list operation and removal
of some of the friction that appears to be a barrier to so many.

 - Dennis