From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: A moderator's view of this list [was: Re: I Hate Your Product]
Date Sat, 31 Mar 2012 22:43:43 GMT
It is fascinating to me that when users figure out how to submit a bug on our Bugzilla, it
is likely closed as an user support question, usually with a remark that the support lists
be used.

Hah!

Meanwhile, I completely support seeing if there is a secure way to implement Marco Fieretti's
technique for pseudo-subscribing unsubscribed users.  I don't have the chops for that, but
I would certainly like to see someone who does and can work with ASF Infrastructure to do
it.

I would recommend that messages that are forwarded in that manner have bottom-of-message,
and maybe an added top-line message that advises the OP what is happening and how to control
it, especially where to find the list archive so that it is understood what has happened and
what the conversations are.  There could also be suggestion of alternatives (maybe a link
to a page about what peer support is and where to find it in all of its forms.

I would also like to see a modification so that duplicates are not sent to a subscriber when
it is possible to determine that.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2012 14:53
To: ooo-users@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: A moderator's view of this list [was: Re: I Hate Your Product]

[ ... ]

Honestly, I think a large percentage of posts from non-subscribers don't
even realize that they are posting to a list.  They think they are sending
an email to a private support list.  In other words, they think it is
similar to how they get support for many other software products.  Although
we say it is a "mailing list" and recently changed that to say "public
mailing list" on the website, I don't think that sinks in.

[ ... ]

I think the users want to send to a private support address where they will
receive a personal response with no extraneous emails.

Of course, we don't have that.

So what is better for that kind of user?  Fool them into thinking that
ooo-users is what they want?  Or direct them to the forums?  Neither is
what they really their preference.  But I'm not sure we're really helping
the average user if we direct them to a mailing list like this.

[ ... ]

The other critical thing is that it is very hard for a single user on the
forums to make a miserable situation for all other members.  There is not
the all-to-all message sending.  That alone is a great improvement.
(Noting as well that Marco has an idea for how that could be done with
mailing lists as well).

[ ... ]