From Dan Lewis <>
Subject Re: Where Do Base Reports Store The Desired Query?
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2012 00:00:11 GMT
On Mon, 2012-02-06 at 16:33 -0600, Michael Reich wrote:
> I've been using a Base database for my stamp collection and each year, I
> copy the previous year's report structure to a new object for the
> current year.  At the same time, I copy/edit the previous year's Query
> to a current year query, and edit it to reflect selection of the current
> year (YYYY) for the query.   The query then selects the right records.
> However, each year I struggle with updating the report format so it
> knows to use the most current query to produce the report.   I have no
> idea how I managed to edit the previous report structures to do what I
> want, but I did.   Unfortunately, I'm stuck this year and can't get the
> report for 2012 to show the 2012 records (it shows the 2011 records,
> because the 2012 query was a copy of the 2011 query).
> I don't know why OO has to be as obtuse as it is in making such a basic
> edit in a report definition, but I can't find it.   How do you edit a
> report to change the query it should use (where is this setting
> hidden)?  Can someone point me in the right direction to make this
> edit?   Thanks for any help!

      Your description is too general in nature to understand what your
are trying to do. You speak of creating a query each year. What are the
differences in these queries for year to year? Do you use the same
fields? Do you use the same criterion, or is the beginning and ending
dates the only difference? Did you select a static or dynamic report?
     Base is likely obtuse because you changed the underlying query in
someway or you selected static report rather then dynamic as the type of
report you wanted.
     If the only difference between a query of one year and a query from
another year was the beginning dates, there should be no problem. If
there are other differences, then you have a different problem.
     For this I am going to assume that you are using the same query,
but only changing the dates in the date field. Or, create a query that
contains all the information you want including the date field of when
this information applied to your stamp collection. Open the query in the
Query design dialog. In the Criterion row enter the following in the
Date field (best would be to copy this and paste it there).
         BETWEEN :Begin_date AND :End_date
Once you have done this, create a report using this query. Any time you
run the report, you will get a pop-up window asking you for End_date and
then Begin_date. Format for this is what date format you use in your
locale. This one query could be used to get information for any period
of time you wish depending upon what you enter into the window.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message