From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OOo, ODF 1.2 extended format and Word: is the possibility to open OOo generated file by word ed as bug?
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2012 13:25:43 GMT
On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 7:27 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 10:03 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>> Rob,
>>
>> I have no idea how get from a catch-22 between ODF 1.2 (latest), ODF 1.2 earlier,
and down-level ODF 1.1 consumers that are strict about it (like Microsoft Word 2007/2010)
to this outburst about LibreOffice.  There is no foundation for that departure into the stratosphere.

> I have no wish for the ODF standard, like the US Constitution or the
> Bible, being used as an excuse to justify stupidity.  ODF is a
> specification for document exchange.  If you are using it in a way
> that decreases interoperability then you really need to step back and
> ask yourself if your literal interpretation really makes sense.

Sorry, I meant to send that note to Dennis only.  Obviously it is up
for each product, proprietary and open source, to determine the
optimal trade-off between real-world interoperability and standards
purity.  If LibreOffice's users are happy with the choices made by the
LibreOffice team, and they don't mind that their documents are flagged
as "corrupt" in MS Office, then no one is to say they are wrong.

However, I think AOO users may benefit from some additional
flexibility here.  For example, we could have a configuration flag
that allows them to switch a "MS Office compatibility mode" on or off.
 In some cases, such as when they are targeting an ODF-based workflow,
strict conformance with the ODF standard will be the overriding
concern.  In other cases, where they are predominately exchanging
documents with MS Office users, compatibility will be more important.
I'd be interested in user feedback whether such a configuration option
would be useful.

-Rob