From Mike Scott <m...@scottsonline.org.uk>
Subject Re: Forum name in subject
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2012 13:52:11 GMT
On 05/01/12 13:29, James Knott wrote:
> Mike Scott wrote:
>> On 04/01/2012 23:19, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>>> Rob,
>>>
>>> Good point. If there is no one who uses this list that objects in the
>>> time window, I'll take it to ooo-dev and from there as appropriate.
>>>
>>> - Dennis
>>
>> A mild objection here... prefixes at the start of the subject line
>> clutter a limited screen space. I loath them, and there are better
>> ways of achieving the end that don't involve overloading the subject
>> text.
>>
>> Would it not be better to use an email header to flag the source, then
>> those that want can use their mail reader to file in suitable places.
>> (I currently crudely filter on 'to' address and 'return-path' to
>> achieve this)
>>
>> I'm probably a minority of one though :-)
>>

> Please explain how that flag will enable sorting on mail list, as I
> mentioned earlier? With a list name in the subject, sorting the mail

I didn't say it would. Sorting by subject is something of a red herring
- the fundamental idea is to separate emails belonging to the particular
mail list. Sorting on a tagged subject is just one - suboptimum - way to
achieve that.

> list by subject results in all list messages grouped together. Also, in
> this day & age, is display space really an issue. Sure, I could filter

yes.

> into different folders, but that's is not the way I want to read the
> vast majority of mail I read.

That's fine, and thank you for your openness. But is it proper to expect
the rest of the world to change to accommodate your wants as opposed to
your needs?

I think we're getting to the nub of the issue here! What are the /needs/
as opposed to the /wants/? And what is the best way of fulfilling some
people's needs without compromising unduly the those of rest of us?

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, Essex, England