From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: OOo, ODF 1.2 extended format and Word: is the possibility to open OOo generated file by word ed as bug?
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2012 17:02:29 GMT
I missed this before I replied to the public one.  That is useful though.

Here it is happening again.  This is not a defect in the Microsoft Office implementation of
ODF 1.1 consumers.  (There are plenty of those to go around.  This is not one of them.)  Creating
an "Office Quirks" Save As mode for this case is technically inappropriate and certainly misleading.
 Why be anxious to this on someone else's implementation?   The problem originated in a late
introduction into the ODF 1.2 specification.

There is nothing wrong with an ODF 1.1 consumer raising a complaint when it encounters an
ODF package that has an unrecognized attribute on the <manifest:manifest>element.  An
ODF 1.1 consumer cannot be expected to know that ODF 1.2 added such a thing and made it mandatory.

To remedy the problem by avoiding use of the mandatory attribute is straightforward and will
bother no-one.  ODF 1.2 consumers dare not object to the absence of the attribute because
it will impeach the documents of their own earlier ODF 1.2 implementations that don't have
it.  For example, OpenOffice.org 3.3.0-produced and LO 3.3.2-produced documents do not have
it.

Abstractly, the solution to this particular situation is to (1) never produce that <manifest:manifest>
manifest:version attribute or, alternatively, (2) only produce the attribute for documents
that absolutely required an ODF 1.2 (or later) consumer to be properly processed and that
cannot be successfully consumed as if they are documents of earlier ODF format versions.
I suspect that (1) will be the immediate and simplest approach.  In all cases, ODF 1.2 consumers
need to view the attribute as optional because they can't expect it on existing (so-called)
ODF 1.2 documents.

 - Dennis