From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: spam, I assume?
Date Fri, 16 Dec 2011 16:20:30 GMT
I suppose if you're this surprised to see it, then it would be
considered spam!   In any case, the email you got has nothing to to with
Apache.

----
This year, Oracle has donated the registered trademarks and domain names
associated with openoffice.org to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF),
along with providing a Software Grant Agreement licensing the majority
of the source code for the OpenOffice.org product under the permissive
Apache License to the ASF.

The linked article on ITWorld is a very important read.  Team OpenOffice
e.V. is an organization in Germany of developers who had worked in the
prior OpenOffice.org project that Sun/Oracle ran in the past.  Team
OpenOffice.org e.V. has no relationship with the ASF nor with the Apache
OpenOffice podling, and any statements that they make that imply
ownership or control currently of the OpenOffice.org domain or software
product should be disregarded.

As you can see right here on the ooo-users@ list and elsewhere, the
Apache OpenOffice podling - undergoing Incubation here at the ASF - is
doing well and is moving forward at creating some great new software
based on the OpenOffice.org code that millions have used in the past,
and plan to create a new product to be called Apache OpenOffice quite soon.

In particular, users should know that any financial donations they may
choose to make to Team OpenOffice.org e.V. have no bearing or
relationship to the current OpenOffice.org product, and are completely
unrelated to the workings of the ASF or the Apache OpenOffice podling.

Users who are interested in supporting future Apache OpenOffice
development - or even better documentation, support options, or other
features on the openoffice.org domain are welcome to either participate
in the Apache OpenOffice project - just ask your questions or send
suggestions to the mailing list - or are welcome to make a donation to
the ASF as a whole at:
   http://www.apache.org/foundation/contributing.html

Since the ASF and the Apache OpenOffice podling plan to maintain the
openoffice.org domain and legacy of a great end-user product for the
foreseeable future, I find it hard to understand why Team OpenOffice.org
e.V. continues to insinuate that OpenOffice.org is dying, and continues
to mislead consumers as to the current owner of the OpenOffice.org
brand: the ASF and the Apache OpenOffice podling.
This is especially disturbing given that they're using the good name of
a new Apache podling in a fundraising effort for their own coffers.

Thanks for the report of this (spam) email!

- Shane Curcuru
   Apache OpenOffice Mentor
   Vice President, Brand Management, The Apache Software Foundation