From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@msn.com>
Subject RE: a wild conversion issue between OOo and Word
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2011 00:29:56 GMT
THERE IS TOO LITTLE INFORMATION on what this was created with in the first
place and where it showed up incorrectly.  And the sanitization process
probably didn't help.

I believe this issue was also discussed on LibreOffice lists.  An user created
a cleaned up version that made it easy to see what kind of errors there were.

If I remember the case, there were a variety of strange features that had rows
with very tall column cells -- there was indeed a table) that seemed to
disappear off the page, and it was easy to fail to notice there were
additional pages when viewed in some applications and not others.

FOR THE CURRENT PROBLEM: However the user thought they made this document, the
.doc definitely has a table with two rows: the headings and then a really high
row that spans 11 pages in Word 2010.  Word also reports that there are 32
columns in the table, although it is clear that only 4 are used.  I think
these columns are probably simply invisible because they don't fit anywhere
and probably have nothing in them.  Also, there appear to be additional table
cells in the visible columns, but they are not row breaks.

As I said, I have seen this sort of thing before.  I think Noop (who even
tested the behavior in a Word 97 on Windows 98) helped isolate the problem.
What it looked like was a common-mode error in the OO.o import/export and/or
something that has worked the way it does between all versions of Word from 97
through to 2010.  I can find the test files, installed on my machine on
2011-09-11 but I can't find the e-mails any longer.  I will have to search in
the LO mailing-list archives.  There was substantial analysis.  I must stop
deleting that kind of thing from my mail folders.

I'll keep looking.  My imperfect recollection is that it is clearly a
conversion issue.

 - Dennis