From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@msn.com>
Subject RE: a wild conversion issue between OOo and Word
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2011 05:09:48 GMT
I found the mid-September thread on this.  It was hidden because it came up as
part of a two-part report that had a non-revealing subject, with the files
submitted as examples of what abominations Microsoft "Secret Formats" are.
(Whether they are abominations, they are no longer secret.)

Here is the original report from Spenser Graves in an earlier thread:
<http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/msg10930.html>.
You can see the similarities in this case with the problem being reported on
the OpenOffice.org Forum thread.
PLEASE NOTE: A file that was correct in LO 3.4.3 was saved as a .doc and then
re-opened in LO 3.4.3.  The problem occurred going to .doc and back into LO
3.4.3 without Word ever touching the file.  I didn't experiment with it in OO
3.x.  There is clearly some confusion between the two halves of the LO
implementation of .doc export and then import.

Here is the end of the thread, from my perspective:
<http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/msg11007.html>
[I don't recall doing the Word 2010 (not 2011) case that I mentioned there.  I
found no report on it on the same list.]
NOTE: There is reference here to a PPT interchange problem involving a dashed
line.  Ignore that.
   The main result of my own analysis, hurriedly written, is here.  The goal
was to determine if it was the export or the import in LO that has the
problem, but not enough cases were created to isolate the defects to the only
places where they are actually arise in processing the document.  There is not
enough to file an useful bug report.  Ugly stuff.

 - Dennis