From Patrick Durusau <patr...@durusau.net>
Subject Re: Old OO.o Mailing Lists
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2011 12:47:37 GMT
Rob,

On 11/02/2011 07:48 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 3:09 AM, Michael Adams<linux_mike@clear.net.nz>  wrote:
>> Who now owns the website domain name?
>>
>> What i am really asking is, how easy would it be to set up a temporary
>> forwarder for emails to a moderator from users@openoffice.org and
>> discuss@openoffice.org. If you own the A record and the mail server
>> it is easy.
>>
>> My main concern stems from the fact that together they still generate
>> as much if not more mail/queries than this list.
>>
> Have yous seen the user list traffic lately?  Seems to be mainly
> out-of-the-office notifications and users confused about how to
> unsubscribe.  That leads to a death spiral for a list, as more of this
> noise drives more people to unsubsbcribe.
>
> In any case, we need to help users resusbcribe to the new list if they
> want to continue participation.  The old list is not coming down
> immediately, like this week or anything.  So we have time for an
> orderly migration.

What would you suggest as an orderly migration path? From what I am
reading on this list, the old lists are simply going to die, following
messages (already sent?) that users need to re-subscribe to the @apache
lists. (I forebear commenting on that strategy, it is the official one
and unlikely to change.)

Question: Should someone ask Oracle for the subscriber list? If we had
that list, does Apache policy allow us to subscribe those subscribers to
the new Apache lists?

Would impact users' mailing filters but some things can't be helped.

Hope you are having a great week!

Patrick

PS: As an alternative, that is if Apache policy does not allow the mass
re-subscription approach, we could view this as an opportunity for some
of those interested in ODF to broadcast the move to Apache. Something
suitable on the homepages or similar locations of Oracle, IBM, MS and
other entities might be a nice touch. A little PR for Apache and getting
people to notice the new locations/mailing lists, etc. Something for
everyone. (Above my paygrade but the large vendors talk to each other
all the time so I leave that conversation up to them.)

--
Patrick Durusau
patrick@durusau.net

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net