From Brian Barker <b.m.bar...@btinternet.com>
Subject Re: Question Restrict Cell entry to width of cell
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2011 21:26:49 GMT
At 13:08 10/11/2011 +0100, Martin Hediger wrote:
>Am 10.11.11 12:52, schrieb Harold Fuchs:
>>On Wed, 2011-11-02 at 10:17 +0100, Martin Hediger wrote:
>>>I have a Calc spreadsheet where in one column contains links to
>>>files on my computer, so the entries are long in terms of number
>>>of characters. I dont need to see the whole path all the time, and
>>>I wanted to know how I can adjust that only the part of the path
>>>fitting into the column width is displayed. Seeing the complete
>>>path is confusing and distracts me somehow. Is it possible to adjust this?
>>
>>If you place the cursor directly on the border (vertical line)
>>between two column headings it will change into a vertical bar with
>>one arrow pointing left and another pointing right. If you now hold
>>down the left mouse button you can drag the border left or right
>>(by moving the mouse in the relevant direction) as much as you like
>>thus adjusting the width of one of the two columns
>
>Thanks Harold for your answer.
>I was aware of this option, however, if it happens to be the last
>column containing data, the links will always spread into the next
>column and it looks messy.

There is a very simple workaround for this, of course: just put
something in the next column so that it is no longer empty.  Type a
space into one cell and fill it down the column.  There is no downside to this:
o If you ever need to use the column, you can overwrite the values or
- more simply - just delete the column.
o To avoid including the column in any page layout, you can define a
print range.
o If it worries you, you can even hide the column without upsetting
its function.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker - privately