From Dan Lewis <elderdanle...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question Restrict Cell entry to width of cell
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2011 12:11:07 GMT
On Wed, 2011-11-02 at 10:17 +0100, Martin Hediger wrote:
> Dear List
> I have a Calc spreadsheet where in one column contains links to files on
> my computer, so the entries are long in terms of number of characters. I
> dont need to see the whole path all the time, and I wanted to know how I
> can adjust that only the part of the path fitting into the column width
> is displayed. Seeing the complete path is confusing and distracts me
> somehow.
> Is it possible to adjust this?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
> Martin

     I don't know how well acquainted you are with HTML and links
contained in this mark-up language. You see the name of the link which
can be a single or a few words. When you place the cursor over the link,
the full link is exposed either as a pop-up or listed somewhere in the
window containing the document.
     Links in Calc are done the same way. You use the Hyperlink bar to
do this. (This is located between the Restore and Sort Ascending icons.
It looks like a globe with a link on it.)
     Help tells how to modify the name of a link. links: editing
hyperlinks) Here is my interpretation of that:
1. Click the cell containing the link.
2. Click the Hyperlink Bar icon.
3. Edit the name of the link, but do not change the URL of the link.
4. Click Accept.

--Dan