From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@msn.com>
Subject RE: Forum outage
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2011 19:42:16 GMT
Bob, Andreas answered your questions.  If you weren't going to
like the answers, why did you ask?  It seems odd that someone
answers the questions asked and then gets beat up for it.  Was
this an exam that Andreas was supposed to pass with an essay
response?

I agree the ad hominem stuff is too think on both sides of these
questions.  But his last answers are direct responses to the
questions you asked.

Also, his observations about forums were very specific to
forums that he uses, and he named them.  Not about potential
forums, or hypothetical forums, etc.  His comparison with some
lists he also participates in (though un-named) are also based on
his actual experience and I witness all that too.  This is not
hypothetical but what users actually are experiencing in some
very concrete cases.

Also, it strikes me that e-mail lists are often used in exactly
the way Andreas describes.  Not this one, obviously.  Newsgroups
may have served that purpose better in the past, I'm not sure.
Various groups that have e-mail attached or e-mail lists that
have newsgroups attached might also be better, now.

For self-formed groups working to a common purpose, I'm not
confident about IM and especially IRC, though, since there is
no useful archive usually.  And they depend on synchronous
participation, something that lists and forums do not require.

Wikis are still good.

For putting together a forum where a group of folks
work on specific tasks and threads, something like an ad hoc
agreement on a Google+ circle might do the job these days.

Instead of mailing lists, one subscribes to RSS feeds instead.
(Likewise for defect-report systems, source-code-management
systems, etc.)

Bottom line, the antagonism between the folks who prefer lists
and those who prefer forums is mystifying to me.  I prefer lists
because they integrate perfectly into my personal workflow and
all of the conversations that matter to me.  I think forums are
superb in many ways, especially for people whose main communication
resource is their web browser and who are in no position to be
indoctrinated in some higher-ceremony arrangement.

I don't have a browser open all of the time, I have my e-mail
client open all of the time.  But it does not do automatic
send-receive (except for my @orcmid twitter stream, of course).

 - Dennis E. Hamilton
   tools for document interoperability,  <http://nfoWorks.org/>
   dennis.hamilton@acm.org  gsm: +1-206-779-9430  @orcmid