From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@msn.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Using the ooo-users list, FAQ, etc.
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2011 00:20:58 GMT
There was some question about what moderators can do and how to request
banning of an offensive troll, for example.  There have been no awful cases
here.  I saw some on another list around the same time as my October 4 note.

So a little less detail, but indicating what happens with moderation and why
delays may be experienced, does seem in order.  And of course, the policy
about trolls, violation of the terms of use (if there were any) might be in
the administrivia post somewhere.  Also, that once a post is successfully
posted, it can't be retracted or deleted (evidently).

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2011 12:15
To: ooo-users@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Using the ooo-users list, FAQ, etc.

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <orcmid@msn.com> wrote:
> I think a monthly FAQ on the policies for this list would be useful.

Like an automated "administrivia" post?

> As one of the three moderators of this list, I just received the
> first-seen moderation-request for an honest-to-goodness spam of
> the Nigerian money-laundering scam sort.
>
> Most of the moderation requests that the list robot sends to my
> inbox are for unsubscribed or not-yet-subscribed posters.  There

Most of what I see are posts by users who are subscribed, but are
sending from a different email address than their normal one.

> is a way to let the post through, with the option of enabling all
> future posts as well, but it doesn't grant a subscription.  That
> takes the usual ritual.  No one is subscribed automatically.  Sometimes
> moderation can take several hours depending on when moderators are
> awake and reading their mail.  (Reading mail while asleep is discouraged.)
> I give moderation requests first-priority in my inbox.

I do the same.

> I suppose the FAQ could talk about that.

Is that really a question that users are asking?  And frequently?  But
it might be a good FAQ "How to Moderate" for the PPMC FAQ section of
the website.

[ ... ]