From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@msn.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Using the ooo-users list, FAQ, etc.
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2011 20:05:51 GMT
I think a monthly FAQ on the policies for this list would be useful.

As one of the three moderators of this list, I just received the
first-seen moderation-request for an honest-to-goodness spam of
the Nigerian money-laundering scam sort.

Most of the moderation requests that the list robot sends to my
inbox are for unsubscribed or not-yet-subscribed posters.  There
is a way to let the post through, with the option of enabling all
future posts as well, but it doesn't grant a subscription.  That
takes the usual ritual.  No one is subscribed automatically.  Sometimes
moderation can take several hours depending on when moderators are
awake and reading their mail.  (Reading mail while asleep is discouraged.)
I give moderation requests first-priority in my inbox.

I suppose the FAQ could talk about that.

The FAQ should point out that all posts are archived and as a matter
of policy, posts are not deleted and I am not sure a moderator can do it.
The FAQ could point out about access via GMane too.

Likewise, banning users is not taken lightly (or done easily).  Unless
an user turns into a spam source or goes off into some sort of
off-topic-for-everything-at-all message-strafing attack (and serious
offensive speech after cautioning), the idea is for list users to work
out controversies among themselves and clean up our own street.

Any more thoughts about what a FAQ should contain beside basic logistics
and what the scope of subject-matter for the list is?

As for etiquette, I would go so far as to link to a nice treatment
provided by Italo Vignoli at <http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette>,
with minimal patches with regard to difference in subject matter and
other details that apply to this list.

 - Dennis