From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Using the ooo-users list, FAQ, etc.
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2011 19:15:06 GMT
On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <orcmid@msn.com> wrote:
> I think a monthly FAQ on the policies for this list would be useful.

Like an automated "administrivia" post?

> As one of the three moderators of this list, I just received the
> first-seen moderation-request for an honest-to-goodness spam of
> the Nigerian money-laundering scam sort.
>
> Most of the moderation requests that the list robot sends to my
> inbox are for unsubscribed or not-yet-subscribed posters.  There

Most of what I see are posts by users who are subscribed, but are
sending from a different email address than their normal one.

> is a way to let the post through, with the option of enabling all
> future posts as well, but it doesn't grant a subscription.  That
> takes the usual ritual.  No one is subscribed automatically.  Sometimes
> moderation can take several hours depending on when moderators are
> awake and reading their mail.  (Reading mail while asleep is discouraged.)
> I give moderation requests first-priority in my inbox.

I do the same.

> I suppose the FAQ could talk about that.

Is that really a question that users are asking?  And frequently?  But
it might be a good FAQ "How to Moderate" for the PPMC FAQ section of
the website.

> The FAQ should point out that all posts are archived and as a matter
> of policy, posts are not deleted and I am not sure a moderator can do it.
> The FAQ could point out about access via GMane too.

These are good things.  Maybe just a webpage/markdown on mailing lists
in general.  We have the start of one already:

It could easily be expanded.  We could then link to it in a monthly
administrivia post.  In particular, some of the info (like using GMane
or the archives) should be easy findable without needing to subscribe
to the list.

> Likewise, banning users is not taken lightly (or done easily).  Unless
> an user turns into a spam source or goes off into some sort of
> off-topic-for-everything-at-all message-strafing attack (and serious
> offensive speech after cautioning), the idea is for list users to work
> out controversies among themselves and clean up our own street.
>
> Any more thoughts about what a FAQ should contain beside basic logistics
> and what the scope of subject-matter for the list is?

I've only seen one question that I'd consider "frequent" and that is
how to unsubscribe.  But I don't think there is much we can do to make
that not be the most-asked question.

> As for etiquette, I would go so far as to link to a nice treatment
> provided by Italo Vignoli at <http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette>,
> with minimal patches with regard to difference in subject matter and
> other details that apply to this list.

Also worth looking at the Apache mailing list guidelines:

http://www.apache.org/dev/contrib-email-tips.html

>  - Dennis

be great to have that possibility here as well.