From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Change in Apache OpenOffice.org Branding...
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2011 14:50:47 GMT
A quick announcement:  We just created yesterday a new marketing
mailing list for the project.  They are also discussing the AOOo
branding issues there.   If you have an interest in the topic, and
related marketing topics, I invite you to join that list, where you
would be most welcome.

To join, send an email to:
ooo-marketing-subcribe@incubator.apache.org.  You will receive a
confirmation email which you will then need to respond to.

Regards,

-Rob

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 11:04 PM, Michael Acevedo <vea1083@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been reading the OOo forum and first let me congratulate the Apache OOo team
in completing the transition of the source code earlier this month. As for my proposal, it
stems from one statement made in the OpenOffice.org Forums indicating that "Fundamentally,
as a project "OpenOffice.org" is done." If the following is true I think it creates a great
opportunity to refresh the OpenOffice.org brand. My proposal has the following provision:

> - Drop the "3" or "3.4" suffix from the OpenOffice.org name and either leave the office
suite name as "Apache OpenOffice.org" or "Apache OpenOffice.org 4
>        * The rationale for this provision is the fact that the OOo code will undergo
(or has undergone substantial rewriting) to allow the source code to be compliant with the
Apache 2.0. licence scheme.
>        * Furthermore, IBM's decision to donate Lotus Symphony to Apache will most
likely result in a "code merger" with the Apache OpenOffice project which will result in a
very altered (compared to today's) OpenOffice.org source code.