From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forums outage... once again
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2011 14:48:20 GMT
On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 8:56 AM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-10-11 at 09:23 -0300, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>> Hi Drew, *,

>> > Wow that was weird - this time it was still down hen I awoke (along with
>> > all the rest of the OO.o sites it seems)...
>> >
>> > Anyway - it is back up now (about 10 minutes after I started looking),
>> > during those ten minutes though it did it all
>> > - couldn't find the http server
>> > - couldn;t connect to the mysql server socket
>> > - too many connections
>> >
>> > and now no problem.
>>
>> this seemed to be a general problem at Oracle, at least with its servers
>> hosting free software projects: as
>> http://svn.services.openoffice.org/opengrok was down, I tried to get
>> opengrok from the opengrok site in order to start making my own opengrok
>> server, and it was also down
>> http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Project+opengrok/WebHome
>> it came back at the same time the other OOo servers came up.
>
> Yes, so I gathered, but some sites are still down
> - the wiki is still throwing the socket error
> - the extension site throws a connection reset error, no matter how many
> times I try to reconnect..

Do you have any sense of what the root cause of the problems is?  Were
there any updates made to phpBB or other software?  Is the server over
loaded?  Have we been missing routine maintenance, like optimizing
DB's?

Changing the server might not improve the stability of the forums, if
the problem is related to other issues.