From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Volume Issue
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2011 12:56:19 GMT
Cross posting to the ooo-dev list, since they might be more familiar
with server-side use of OOo.   Do we know of a regression in 3.3 with
resource leaks and PDF conversion?

-Rob

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 8:12 AM, Herter, Scott
<Scott.Herter@napersoft.com> wrote:
> OpenOffice 2.4 was tested under both Windows 2008 Server and Windows 7 and did not get
slower as time went on.  OpenOffice 3.3 was tested under both Windows 2008 Server and Windows
7 and only got slower under Windows 2008 Server.

> Main memory remained stable over time.
>
> OpenOffice memory would go up until we restarted it after every 1000 uses.  If we don't
restart it OpenOffice will crash before it makes it to 2000 uses.  The crashing seems to
be an issue under Windows.  We have seen the memory increase in the OpenOffice process in
Linux but OpenOffice did not crash before our test ended.  This is the same for both OpenOffice
2.4 and 3.3.

> OpenOffice leaks Windows Desktop Heap memory, this is a Windows only issue.  It eventually
eats up all the Windows Desktop Heap for a given virtual Desktop (interactive or service)
and the desktop needs to be destroyed and recreated, either by logging out and logging back
in, stopping and starting the service, or rebooting.  This is the same for both OpenOffice
2.4 and 3.3.  Unfortunately Microsoft has not provided a way to look at the Desktop heap
for Windows 2008 Server and Windows 7.  This used to be possible under Windows XP and Windows
2003 server.  I don't know if OpenOffice 3.3 is eating up Windows Desktop Heap and a faster
rate than OpenOffice 2.4.  I will have to get a Windows 2003 Server VM going at some point
to check that out.

talks to OpenOffice using the UNO API to print documents and convert them to PDF.  With 2.4
We managed to get over 1 million conversions on a single stress test.  With OpenOffice 3.3
it got to around 50,000 and slowed down terribly.  This was on a Windows 2008 Server.  We
ran the same test on Windows 7 and didn't have a slowdown.  We were wondering if anyone new
anything about performance issues when running OpenOffice 3.3. on a Windows server.

>> Thanks.
>>

> What was your OOo 2.4 test on?  Windows 2008 Server or Windows 7?
> You seem to be changing two variables, platform and OOo version, so it is hard to say
what the cause is, at least based on your note.

> Did you monitor things like process memory and system used paging file size?  Some sort
of resource leak sounds likely.