From Alexandro Colorado <...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Change in Apache OpenOffice.org Branding...
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 12:49:38 GMT
On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 11:41 PM, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:

> On 10/25/2011 12:26 AM, Doug wrote:
>
>> On 10/24/2011 11:04 PM, Michael Acevedo wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have been reading the OOo forum and first let me congratulate the
>>> Apache OOo team in completing the transition of the source code earlier this
>>> month. As for my proposal, it stems from one statement made in the
>>> OpenOffice.org Forums indicating that "Fundamentally, as a project
>>> "OpenOffice.org" is done." If the following is true I think it creates a
>>> great opportunity to refresh the OpenOffice.org brand. My proposal has the
>>> following provision:
>>>
>>> - Drop the "3" or "3.4" suffix from the OpenOffice.org name and either
>>> leave the office suite name as "Apache OpenOffice.org" or "Apache
>>> OpenOffice.org 4
>>>    * The rationale for this provision is the fact that the OOo code will
>>> undergo (or has undergone substantial rewriting) to allow the source code to
>>> be compliant with the Apache 2.0. licence scheme.
>>>    * Furthermore, IBM's decision to donate Lotus Symphony to Apache will
>>> most likely result in a "code merger" with the Apache OpenOffice project
>>> which will result in a very altered (compared to today's) OpenOffice.org
>>> source code.
>>> Well that's the basic idea behind proposal and I think the brand refresh
>>> will be beneficial for the Apache OOo project.
>>>
>>> Again, thank you for your time and keep up the good work!
>>>
>>>  Michael
>>>
>> This is probably not the place for the following, but since I don't know
>> what is, and you are undoubtedly one of the
>> movers and shakers in Apache O, I would like to suggest a couple of
>> things:
>>
>> 1.  For Pete's sake, drop that final "o."  If there ever was a
>> www.OpenOffice.org, it is surely gone by now.
>> 2.  Incorporate all the visual goodies and selections that Symphony
>> offers, so that you really have a
>>          competitive product to the commercial guys like MS Office.
>> 3. Fix Calc so that the blank boxes printed above the normal spreadsheet
>> disappear.  I can send you a sample if
>>          you don't know what I'm talking about.  Even Symphony has the
>> problem.  It looks like Libre has fixed it.
>>
>> Good luck with this.  I look forward to using the final product, whenever
>> it comes out.
>>
>> --doug
>>
>>  Replying to myself:  yes, there actually is an OpenOffice.org.  Oh, well.
> . . . OOo still looks silly.

yawn we have this discussion plenty of times. Ipad sounds like something you
use to stop a menstrual cycle and .net well... there is that nice dot again,
nevermind dot mac and others.

However when you are familiar with the product, and you identified with it,
is not the same effect. OOo has long been with their users and probably is
the best branding we could have. Not only that is embeded on the source code
(althought plenty of star stuff as well), the branches, the userlist and in
the vocabulary of most of the users.

Then again is this really that big of a thing?

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* EspaƱol