From floris v <floris...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Change in Apache OpenOffice.org Branding...
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2011 22:38:09 GMT
Op 27-10-2011 23:52, Terry schreef:
> I do not understand the point Michael made in that email.  Is he suggesting that no version
number be used?

> Terry
>

>> ________________________________

the
>>> Apache
>>> 2.0. licence scheme. * Furthermore, IBM's decision to donate Lotus Symphony to
Apache
>>> will
>>> most likely result in a "code merger" with the Apache OpenOffice project which
will
>>> result
>>> in a very altered (compared to today's) OpenOffice.org source code. Well that's
the
>>> basic
>>> idea behind proposal and I think the brand refresh will be beneficial for the
Apache OOo
>>> project.
>>> Again, thank you for your time and keep up the good work!
>>>
>> I agree with all aspects of what Michael suggests and has stated.
>>

>> --
>> Dave
>> Multi-AV Scanning Tool - http://multi-av.thespykiller.co.uk
>> http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

With lots of rewriting and going back to old software like myspell any
version number seems to me a very dubious affair. You might just as well
restart with Apache OOo 1.0. A higher version number suggests, after
all, that the developers built on an older version and added stuff and
removed bugs. Here the story is very different. It's probably my biggest
objection to this rebranding: there are quite a few annoying bugs and
shortcomings that have plagued users for years, and instead of tackling
those, the developers are discarding stuff that works in favour of old
software that may not work quite as well. Really.