From TJ Frazier <tjfraz...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject Re: Portable LibreOffice Conflict with OpenOffice
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2011 10:07:10 GMT
On 10/27/2011 04:23, Harold Fuchs wrote:
> I installed the new portable LO
> (http://portableapps.com/apps/office/libreoffice_portable) on a USB
> stick. When I try to run it, it complains that there is another copy
> running. It seems that this is because OpenOffice's (non-portable)
> Quickstarter is running on the machine. Of course, OOo's Quickstarter is
> running for multiple users who happen to be logged on to the machine
> (Win XP Pro) so, although I can kill mine, I can't kill the others.
>
> Is it right that a *portable* version should be prevented from running
> by a mere office application (not anti virus or lock-down software or
> parental control or anything similar) installed on the machine? Is it
> right that a *portable* program should be prevented from running by some
> process owned by another *non-admin* user? Is it right that LO is
> interfered with by OOo? Or is at least one of these a bug?
>
> Why should I not be able to run LO and OOo at the same time on the same
> machine?
>
> Harold Fuchs
> London, England

Harold,

If the situation were reversed, and a portable OO.o complained about an
installed LO running, I would consider that an OO.o problem: a portable
version has to allow for things like that, not just moan and die.

As a possible workaround, you might arrange with the system
administrator to try loading OO.o without Quickstarter, and see (a)
whether LO would be happy (maybe, maybe not); and (b) whether any
additional overhead would be acceptable (probably).

But, basically, this is an LO problem. Tell them about it.
--
/tj/