From Shane Curcuru <a...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Change in Apache OpenOffice.org Branding...
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 13:05:39 GMT
Thanks for the proposal and the discussions in this thread.  Apache
projects certainly appreciate input from users!

The decision for future product naming has already been brought up on
the ooo-dev@ list a number of times, and I expect in the near future the
PPMC will dive into it for a final name.

Apache does have some product branding requirements published:

   http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs

Note that we do expect to continue using the openoffice.org domain name
and some of it's services as a user-facing portal of information about
the project as the AOOo podling goes forward, to ensure that users who
know the OpenOffice name can continue to find our project in the future.
  Primary development (patches, testing, new features) will primarily be
done based at the future *.apache.org homepage of the project, as
reflects best practices for an Apache project.

- Shane

On 10/24/2011 11:04 PM, Michael Acevedo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been reading the OOo forum and first let me congratulate the Apache OOo team in
completing the transition of the source code earlier this month. As for my proposal, it stems
from one statement made in the OpenOffice.org Forums indicating that "Fundamentally, as a
project "OpenOffice.org" is done." If the following is true I think it creates a great opportunity
to refresh the OpenOffice.org brand. My proposal has the following provision:

> - Drop the "3" or "3.4" suffix from the OpenOffice.org name and either leave the office
suite name as "Apache OpenOffice.org" or "Apache OpenOffice.org 4
> 	* The rationale for this provision is the fact that the OOo code will undergo (or has
undergone substantial rewriting) to allow the source code to be compliant with the Apache
2.0. licence scheme.
> 	* Furthermore, IBM's decision to donate Lotus Symphony to Apache will most likely result
in a "code merger" with the Apache OpenOffice project which will result in a very altered
(compared to today's) OpenOffice.org source code.