From Patrick Durusau <>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Change in Apache Branding...
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 10:55:13 GMT

On 10/25/2011 04:50 AM, Terry wrote:
> Hi, Alan.  I know that.  'Apache
> OpenOffice' would be a good name.  I just think the '.org' can be
> dropped.  As you indicate, people talk about 'OpenOffice' not
> ''.

So long as it remains known as "OpenOffice" I suspect that will work.

It maybe called 'Apache OpenOffice' on the website but 'OpenOffice' will
be the common usage.

I don't known anyone who says "Apache Hadoop." Lots of folks do say

Hope you are having a great day!

> Regards.
>> ________________________________
someone else owns the name 'OpenOffice' but the software could now be named something like
'Apache Office'.  The subject has been mentioned in comments on the blog and in the ooo-dev
list where the decision will presumably be made.
>> Don't be too hasty to disregard the [probable] hundreds of millions who know the
name "Open Office".
>> It always amazes me who has heard of it - when I talk to random people at parties
(non tech) and say I'm in Open Source, invariably the reply is "Oh, you mean like Open Office?"
>> Al
>> -- The Open Learning Centre
>> For additional commands, e-mail:

Patrick Durusau