From Doug <dmcgarr...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Change in Apache OpenOffice.org Branding...
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 04:26:16 GMT
On 10/24/2011 11:04 PM, Michael Acevedo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been reading the OOo forum and first let me congratulate the Apache OOo team in
completing the transition of the source code earlier this month. As for my proposal, it stems
from one statement made in the OpenOffice.org Forums indicating that "Fundamentally, as a
project "OpenOffice.org" is done." If the following is true I think it creates a great opportunity
to refresh the OpenOffice.org brand. My proposal has the following provision:

> - Drop the "3" or "3.4" suffix from the OpenOffice.org name and either leave the office
suite name as "Apache OpenOffice.org" or "Apache OpenOffice.org 4
> 	* The rationale for this provision is the fact that the OOo code will undergo (or has
undergone substantial rewriting) to allow the source code to be compliant with the Apache
2.0. licence scheme.
> 	* Furthermore, IBM's decision to donate Lotus Symphony to Apache will most likely result
in a "code merger" with the Apache OpenOffice project which will result in a very altered
(compared to today's) OpenOffice.org source code.
> Well that's the basic idea behind proposal and I think the brand refresh will be beneficial
for the Apache OOo project.

> Again, thank you for your time and keep up the good work!
>
>   Michael
This is probably not the place for the following, but since I don't know
what is, and you are undoubtedly one of the
movers and shakers in Apache O, I would like to suggest a couple of things:

1.  For Pete's sake, drop that final "o."  If there ever was a
www.OpenOffice.org, it is surely gone by now.
2.  Incorporate all the visual goodies and selections that Symphony
offers, so that you really have a
           competitive product to the commercial guys like MS Office.
3. Fix Calc so that the blank boxes printed above the normal spreadsheet
disappear.  I can send you a sample if
           you don't know what I'm talking about.  Even Symphony has the
problem.  It looks like Libre has fixed it.

Good luck with this.  I look forward to using the final product,
whenever it comes out.

--doug