From "Andreas Säger" <saege...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: Forum outage
Date Sun, 02 Oct 2011 18:16:19 GMT
Am 01.10.2011 22:13, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 07:47:31PM +0200, Andreas Säger wrote:
>> Am 30.09.2011 18:35, Doug wrote:
>>> If anybody cares, I *hate* forums. With a list, you get a bit of
>>> everything,
>>
>> If it is an emotional question then it is about the end user's
>> emotions rather than yours.
>> End user support by mailing lists simply does not work. The
>> acceptance is extremely low. Same with the overall quality of
>> service due to the technical restrictions.
>
> Could you please expand on your objection to mailing lists?

Mailing lists are perfect when you have to be sure that a closed group
of co-workers share the same information at any time.
This has nothing to do with end user support.
I know the mailing lists for end users of OOo since many years. The
quality of service is very poor. Lots of wrong/missing/misleading
answers, very high noise level, no screenshots, no search facility, no
text formatting, not even decent hyperlinks and most importantly: no
administration. Every piece of spam and bullshit has been copied to all
subscribers when you read it, so there is nothing to move, to fix, to
remove, which on the other hand makes a mailing list superior for closed
work groups with a high level of liability.

> Again, could you please expand on your opinion?

On user.services.openoffice.org you won't find a single single spam
posting, a single off topic thread, duplicate, unsubscribe rant, heavy
trolling, meta-topic about using the forum, no violation of netiquette
or forum rules that survives longer than one or two hours.
Instead you can find the answers for hundreds of frequently asked
questions with screenshots, hyperlinks, clearly structured and formatted
tutorials and example documents.

Before the decline of OOo there used to be around 50 topics per day. The
currently active moderators and aministrators can deal with more than that.