From "Herter, Scott" <Scott.Her...@napersoft.com>
Subject RE: Volume Issue
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2011 12:18:59 GMT
We use the UNO API from Java and it is reasonably fast, usually takes less than half a second
to convert a two page document to PDF.  We have run similar tests on Linux and gotten similar
results.  Haven't used any of the BSDs so I don't know if performance would be comparable.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Scott [mailto:mike@scottsonline.org.uk]
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2011 2:56 AM
To: ooo-users@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Volume Issue

On 09/10/2011 23:06, Herter, Scott wrote:
> We are using OpenOffice 3.3 on a server for a JEE application.  The
> JEE application talks to OpenOffice using the UNO API to print
> documents and convert them to PDF.  With 2.4 We managed to get over 1
> million conversions on a single stress test.  With OpenOffice 3.3 it
> got to around 50,000 and slowed down terribly.  This was on a Windows
> 2008 Server.  We ran the same test on Windows 7 and didn't have a
> slowdown.  We were wondering if anyone new anything about performance
> issues when running OpenOffice 3.3. on a Windows server.
>
> Thanks.

I'm using OOo under freebsd, using the command line to convert to pdf or doc from odt. Always
was slow (it's only a small m/c), but the total time jumped from around 10 sec to perhaps
40-50 sec after a similar upgrade from 2.x to 3.y (I forget the exact x, y). Maybe v3 slurps
up more memory; I've not investigated.

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, Essex, England