From Ariel Constenla-Haile <ariel.constenla.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: decimal places in calc
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2011 07:38:43 GMT
Hello Doug,

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 02:57:16AM -0400, Doug wrote:
> I want to have every entry show 3 decimal places, even if the final
> decimal is a zero.
> I.e., if the number is 443.250, I want it to look that way on the
> spread sheet.

you must apply a numbering format other than the default, for example:

0.000

You can apply a cell format by selecting a range of cells, or by
modifying a cell style.

> I have tried everything I can find in the help box, but it only
> gives 3 decimals
> if the value actually has three non-zero digits after the decimal,
> like 449.525,
> and that only after digging thru a whole batch of menus.  I want the
> spreadsheet
> to default to the input format, whatever it is, and not round off
> anything, and
> print all the digits I input.  Can it do that?  If so, how?

If you want to apply that format to the whole document, then you have to
change the default cell format:

* menu Format - Style and Formatting (or F11)
* select the "Default" cell style
* right-click to open the context menu, and select "Modify"
* this will open a dialog "Cell Style: Default", on the "Numbers" tab
  modify Options - Decimal places, increment it to 3, so that the
  "Format code" looks like 0.000

I CC you with a screen-shot and a sample document.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina