From Michael Acevedo <>
Subject [Proposal] Change in Apache Branding...
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 03:04:15 GMT

I have been reading the OOo forum and first let me congratulate the Apache OOo team in completing
the transition of the source code earlier this month. As for my proposal, it stems from one
statement made in the Forums indicating that "Fundamentally, as a project ""
is done." If the following is true I think it creates a great opportunity to refresh the
brand. My proposal has the following provision:

- Drop the "3" or "3.4" suffix from the name and either leave the office suite
name as "Apache" or "Apache 4
	* The rationale for this provision is the fact that the OOo code will undergo (or has undergone substantial rewriting)
to allow the source code to be compliant with the Apache 2.0. licence scheme.
	* Furthermore, IBM's decision to donate Lotus Symphony to Apache will most likely result
in a "code merger" with the Apache OpenOffice project which will result in a very altered
(compared to today's) source code.
Well that's the basic idea behind proposal and I think the brand refresh will be beneficial
for the Apache OOo project.

Again, thank you for your time and keep up the good work!