From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@msn.com>
Subject RE: Forum outage
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2011 16:51:06 GMT
It's amazing to me that in order to have what is our preference, it is desired to kill off
everything else.  Apparently, those who love forums have equally strong things to say about
lists, and do not come to the rescue of the OpenOffice.org lists at all.

Why is it necessary to spread disdain for forums here on a list where, presumably, the participants
are all self-selected and comfortable with lists and if forum-love is our secret vice, perhaps
don't ask, don't tell should be restored?

I am happy to see both thrive and serve those who find one or the other or both worthy of
following.  But then, I'm one of those ignorant top-posters.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug [mailto:dmcgarrett@optonline.net]
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2011 09:35
To: ooo-users@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Forum outage

> That's funny.  The English-language forum guys seem quite antagonistic
> to e-mail lists.
>
> Now that the forums are up, you will probably find it more useful to
> create your thread there.  (I have no quarrel with it being here, just
> consider that the audience is elsewhere.)
>
>   - Dennis

/snip/

If anybody cares, I *hate* forums.  With a list, you get a bit of
everything,
and you can select those things that interest you.
With a forum, you can only ask a specific question and wait for an
answer, and you will never learn about anything else.
(Yes, I know you can read the posts, but it is a lot more trouble, and
not worth the time and effort.)
And you have to sign in all the time--it doesn't just appear on
your screen.  Sign-ins are a pain!
Just my 2ยข  doug