From Ariel Constenla-Haile <ariel.constenla.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Are you planning to expand OOo file format support after OOo 3.4?
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2011 23:08:52 GMT
Hello Michael,

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 12:20:56PM -0700, Michael Acevedo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering about subject as I was reading in the wiki that OOo 3.4 will be the last
supporting old OOo binary file formats (Can someone expand on these?).

binary formats are the old StarOffice file formats.
You will find them when you save a Writer file, for example. Choose from
the "File type" drop-down list "OpenOffice.org 1.0 Text Document (.svx)"
instead of the default "ODF Text Document (.odt)".

You'll see that your writer-file.odt is a zipped set of XML files, while
your writer-file.svx is a binary file (well... strictly speaking,
everything is binary in a computer...).

So dropping the old binary file formats means you won't be able to save
in that formats, nor open files in that binary format.

> Which makes me wonder, will OOo 3.5 and later add new file formats (such as OfficeOpenXML,
i.e. .docx, .pptx, .xlsx, etc.)

AFAIK OOo can already open that formats (I have no idea, because
I automatically reject every document sent in those formats :) ).

> along with an improved implementation of ODF as a result of the code combination with
Lotus Symphony?

not, AFAIK

Regards
--