incubator-ooo-qa mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: QA Volunteering
Date Sun, 11 Nov 2012 18:46:25 GMT
On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 8:55 AM,  <mtreen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good morning.
>
> What are the typical time commitments expected?
>
> I have almost 30 years in banking software development and support but have been away
from development directly for a while.  QA is exceptionally important to any project but with
the broad use of Open Office, quality QA is critical.

> I would love to assist.

Hello Mike,

Thanks for writing.  We're happy to have volunteers of all skill
levels and availability.

Something you will probably want to consider is the fixed tasks that
need to be done before doing formal testing, things needed to maintain
a reproducible test environment, like downloading and doing a fresh
install of the latest test build of OpenOffice.  There are ways of
making this fast and painless, such as using virtual machines
(VirtualBox is one free solution that several of us use), but if you
are doing this manually you can probably count on 30 minutes or so
overhead.  Since it is probably not very satisfying to spend all of
your time installing OpenOffice, you would probably want to arrange
your time so you could spend 2 or more hours per build.  And you don't
want to waste time testing very old builds.  So that suggests
something like 2 hours on a build every other week for a minimum level
of engagement.

The QA work comes in waves, as you probably know from your commercial
software experience.  Right now it is relatively quiet.  Our recent
OpenOffice 3.4.1 has been doing well -- no urgent bugs reported there.
 So we're looking forward to the 4.0 features to show up in builds, so
we can test them.  And we're also looking at increasing our overall
test automation coverage of existing features. We also have a steady
stream of new bug reports from users that need to be verified.  (Many
end up as duplicates or user errors, but they all need to be looked
at)  And of course, this is now an excellent time to help orient new
QA volunteers.

I invite you to poke around and see what we're working on.  Our QA
page here has links to more information, including some new volunteer
orientation pages you may find useful:
http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/qa.html

Finally, I'd recommend that you subscribe to this QA mailing list by
sending an email to ooo-qa-subscribe@incubator.apache.org.

Regards,

-Rob