incubator-ooo-qa mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject First experiences with VLCAuto
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2012 13:22:06 GMT
I finally found time to experiment with VLCAuto [1].  I did this on a
Windows XP virtual machine.  Overall it worked well.  I was able to
run the smoketest and build verification tests.  Only one failure
reported, in testSlideShow.

Some quick comments that might help improve the documentation,
especially for new users.

Setup.

1. There are two missing steps here, a pre-requisite to install:

A. JDK 6

B. Download AOO source code

2. For importing the projects, I was not able to import both
testcommon and testgui at the same time.  I had to import one, click
finish, then repeat with the other project.  The instructions seem to
say these are done in one step.

3. When you download JUnit you need to rename the JAR file.

4. For the openoffice.home parameter, it would be good to give the
text as a string in the instructions, so it can be copied to the
clipboard.  Also, have it for Windows and Mac as well.  For Windos I
had to put it in quotes, e.g., -Dopenoffice.home="C:\Program
Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program"

5. Running the tests triggered a few Windows Firewall errors.  I had
to explicitly allow Eclipse and OpenOffice to communicate over the
port for the tests to run.

Test case definitions

1. I see a lot of hardcoded sleep statements, 1 second, 2 seconds,
sometimes 3 seconds.   Are we going to run into problems with
different processor speeds?  Would it be better to refer to a
constant, like WAIT.Short, WAIT.Medium, WAIT.Long, so it can be
redefined in one place if the tests are run on a much slower (or
faster) test machine?

2. Calls like app.dispatch("private:factory/simpress?slot=6686") --
How would a QA test writer know this?  It seems like a very low level
of detail that should be abstracted and hidden someplace.

[1] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/QA/vcla

Regards,

-Rob