incubator-ooo-qa mailing list archives

From Linyi Li <lilinyi921...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: First experiences with VLCAuto
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2012 01:49:31 GMT
Thanks Rob. Good suggestions.
VCLAuto is not perfert right now. We will improve it gradually. The
following is my response based on my understanding of VCLAuto.

Setup.

> 1. There are two missing steps here, a pre-requisite to install:
>
> A. JDK 6
>
> B. Download AOO source code

Firstly to update wiki. The best way is to develop script to download AOO
and to install AOO automatically.

> 5. Running the tests triggered a few Windows Firewall errors.  I had
> to explicitly allow Eclipse and OpenOffice to communicate over the
> port for the tests to run.
>
> I found this problem too. But I did not find a way to resolve it. Any
suggestions?

> Test case definitions
>
> 1. I see a lot of hardcoded sleep statements, 1 second, 2 seconds,
> sometimes 3 seconds.   Are we going to run into problems with
> different processor speeds?  Would it be better to refer to a
> constant, like WAIT.Short, WAIT.Medium, WAIT.Long, so it can be
> redefined in one place if the tests are run on a much slower (or
> faster) test machine?
>
> Very good suggestion. It is a good way to make test codes more readable
and easily maintained.

> 2. Calls like app.dispatch("private:factory/simpress?slot=6686") --
> How would a QA test writer know this?  It seems like a very low level
> of detail that should be abstracted and hidden someplace.

The string in dispatch is the ID of each control. We can use VCL explorer
to get them.
Using uno api to call control actions instead of using UI menu can make
language neutral.

VCLAuto is been improved step by step. To make job better, I think wiki
documentation should be updated with the test codes.

--
Best wishes.
Linyi Li