incubator-ooo-qa mailing list archives

From Carl Marcum <cmar...@apache.org>
Subject unit testing philosophy
Date Sat, 25 Aug 2012 20:22:10 GMT
Hi all,

I'm new to the qa list and joined because I would like to learn more
about testing and as a java dev, I think this is an area I can
contribute to the project.

I've been working on updating the netbeans plugin and that's working,
now I'm looking at the unit and qa-funtional tests.

When I run the tests only about 60% pass. When I start looking at what
is failing I'm seeing a lot of prototype tests that just setup and call
fail. example:

     /**
      * Test of locateOffice method, of class IxLocator.
      */
     public void testLocateOffice() {
         System.out.println("locateOffice");
         IxLocator instance = null;
         instance.locateOffice();
         // TODO review the generated test code and remove the default
call to fail.
         fail("The test case is a prototype.");

Is it better to have:
100% coverage and 50% fail because of prototypes
or
50% coverage and 100% pass (no prototypes or just not call fail)?

Thanks,
Carl