incubator-ooo-qa mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: QA_Beginner
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2012 19:07:15 GMT
On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Vinay <vin03.pl@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi rob
>
> I am sorry about the previous mail, I was sending from my smartphone, I accidentally
sent you half typed mail.
> I can try on Ubuntu, centos as well.
>
> Please let me know if you need any information about my hardware.

Thanks.  Among our users Windows is the most popular platform.  So
getting good coverage there is key.

If you have a good desktop machine, using virtual machines is a
powerful approach to managing multiple configurations.  For example, I
have a quad-core machine set up with VirtualBox (free download;
https://www.virtualbox.org/).

Initially I created virtual machines for Windows XP, Windows 7,
Windows 8 Preview and Ubuntu.  Then I cloned some of them to install
earlier versions of OpenOffice, like 3.3.0 and 3.4.0.  Then when a new
'dev snapshot" build comes out I can quickly test it on multiple
platforms, including how it installs over previous versions.

Using a virtual machine also helps protect your main environment as
well.  You never know -- a test build could have a bug that messes up
your system.  Testing in a virtual machine is safer.

Zhe Liu had some good links on where to sign up for the bug database,
where to download snapshot builds, etc.

-Rob

> Thanks rob
>
> Vinay
>
> On Jul 3, 2012, at 11:39 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 7:36 AM, Vinay <vin03.pl@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot for letting me join the QA team. I am fairly new QA, I do have
>>> theoretical understanding of testing process, I would like to work on this
>>> project so that I can get practical skills and learn more from my seniors.
>>>

>> Welcome to the AOO project, Vinay!
>>
>> What platforms(s) can you run OpenOffice on?
>>
>> -Rob
>>

>>> I am currently starting to get information from this page
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Site-QA-Plan, please
>>> kindly let me know where I can start off.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Regards
>>> Vinay