incubator-ooo-qa mailing list archives

From Vinay <vin03...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: QA_Beginner
Date Wed, 04 Jul 2012 21:08:48 GMT
Thanks Andrea, it was very informative. I am getting clear idea about the different releases.
Although I need to get more information and work more on it. Thanks again

On Jul 4, 2012, at 12:44 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:

> Rob Weir wrote:
>> Why aren't we building desktop integration in the snapshots?  If our
>> testing is to be meaningful it should be based on based on the same
>> form of packages that the end users will run, right?
>
> Dev snapshots can be configured as "OOo-DEV" (no relation with the mailing list, it is
their historical name) or "OpenOffice.org".

> The first configuration is for interim releases, does not provide desktop integration
and is meant for packages that can be installed alongside a stable version: I download them
and I install them on my main system to check bugfixes, but I continue using the stable version.

> The second configuration is applied in the pre-release phase and provides desktop integration.
These packages will overwrite a stable installation (unless installed with special switches)
and are meant for a full test.

> The separation makes sense because in a large majority of cases it's enough to have the
first kind of configuration to verify a bugfix or test regressions, so that the snapshot can
be removed or replaced with no worry to damage the stable installation.