incubator-ooo-qa mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <>
Subject Re: QA_Beginner
Date Wed, 04 Jul 2012 16:44:45 GMT
Rob Weir wrote:
> Why aren't we building desktop integration in the snapshots?  If our
> testing is to be meaningful it should be based on based on the same
> form of packages that the end users will run, right?

Dev snapshots can be configured as "OOo-DEV" (no relation with the
mailing list, it is their historical name) or "".

The first configuration is for interim releases, does not provide
desktop integration and is meant for packages that can be installed
alongside a stable version: I download them and I install them on my
main system to check bugfixes, but I continue using the stable version.

The second configuration is applied in the pre-release phase and
provides desktop integration. These packages will overwrite a stable
installation (unless installed with special switches) and are meant for
a full test.

The separation makes sense because in a large majority of cases it's
enough to have the first kind of configuration to verify a bugfix or
test regressions, so that the snapshot can be removed or replaced with
no worry to damage the stable installation.

View raw message