From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ticketbud
Date Sat, 20 Oct 2012 15:07:21 GMT

and Ticketbud came up, via the article in Wired on the company recently posted. [http://www.wired.com/business/2012/10/ticketbud/]

>> The writer, Ryan Tate, has a good account of CEO Cross' modus operandi and I found
it persuasive and in sync. with open source efforts to provide work made by and for the community
(and everyone else). I sent Ticketbud a note asking whether they were open source, international,
open content, localized, etc.

>> That was a few minutes ago, so no response yet.
>>
>> But I do think we ought to consider their use, provided that's feasible and in accord
with Apache; and if it seems good, then persuade Apache, if they need to be so suaded.

>> What I would rather avoid is wasting time, money, energy using services that are
difficult and costly or just costly or difficult, and that impose an effective tax on holding
events.

> Use it for what?  ApacheCon is centrally managed and they are using
> Amiando.com for the Sinsheim event.  I think Portland is
> professionally managed, in which case one would expect the event
> managers to provide ticketing services.

I guess i was not clear. Obviously we must work within Apache for AOO events. But if this
is better than what Apache is using now, then Apache ought to be persuaded of that.

> In any case, it is probably worth sharing this info with the  ConCom
> mailing list, so they know about it, if they don't already.

Which list I didn't even know about.

> It could also be a good option for smaller, free AOO-specific events.

Or only those tangential to it. But my goal is to have many free events around the globe enabling
users and contributors of and to AOO, and this would be one way to coordinate those and also
further develop the resultant networks.

Louis