From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Video from ACEU
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2012 17:09:03 GMT
On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 12:05 PM, Ross Gardler
<rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
> Since ACEU has sold out cash is available for a few nice extras. One of the extras we
are considering is recording all video of the various tracks. Unfortunately the budget doesn't
quite stretch to covering all tracks.

> The Lucene track is being covered by a third party. Which leaves 5 tracks.
>
> Would the aoo-marketing team be interested in having video for all the AOO talks?
>
> Cost is around €1500 per track per day (precise cost will depend on how many tracks
we decide to record). This only includes an HD video recording of the speaker. There is no
post-production in this so the AOO marketing team would need to do something useful with the
raw files.

> Would the aoo-marketing team like to contribute towards the costs to ensure the AOO tracks
are included?

The alternatives, which are lesser cost, include:

1) Posting the slides

2) Having the authors of the presentations do audio narration of their
presentations in the comfort of their own office and post that, e.g.,
Camtasia and Youtube.

The download of those approaches is that we don't get a recording of Q&A, etc.

I also wonder what % of the track is currently assigned to sessions
that would not tape well, like open discussions, hacking sessions,
etc. ?

And unless we have a sponsor for this, the 1500/day comes out of a
finite pool of remaining SPI funds.  So having these recordings would
mean less for travel reimbursements to a future event.

Honestly, most of the presentations are rather deep technical dives.
This is a good thing.  But only a small subset of the talks would have
good potential for marketing value, the general overview and
future-looking talks.  If there were a way to record just a handful of
sessions, at a pro-rated cost,  that would be ideal.

I don't have a really strong opinion on this.   But I would note that
we've heard recently from a number of people expressing some urgency
about funding conference attendance for other conferences, and I have
not heard anyone recently express a desire for session videos.   So I
wonder if it makes sense to preserve the funds for that, if that is
where we think the maximum marketing value is?

-Rob