From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ticketbud
Date Sat, 20 Oct 2012 15:03:30 GMT

and Ticketbud came up, via the article in Wired on the company recently posted. [http://www.wired.com/business/2012/10/ticketbud/]

> The writer, Ryan Tate, has a good account of CEO Cross' modus operandi and I found it
persuasive and in sync. with open source efforts to provide work made by and for the community
(and everyone else). I sent Ticketbud a note asking whether they were open source, international,
open content, localized, etc.

> That was a few minutes ago, so no response yet.
>
> But I do think we ought to consider their use, provided that's feasible and in accord
with Apache; and if it seems good, then persuade Apache, if they need to be so suaded.

> What I would rather avoid is wasting time, money, energy using services that are difficult
and costly or just costly or difficult, and that impose an effective tax on holding events.

Use it for what?  ApacheCon is centrally managed and they are using
Amiando.com for the Sinsheim event.  I think Portland is
professionally managed, in which case one would expect the event
managers to provide ticketing services.

In any case, it is probably worth sharing this info with the  ConCom
mailing list, so they know about it, if they don't already.

It could also be a good option for smaller, free AOO-specific events.

-Rob