From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Marketing events
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2012 18:39:53 GMT
On 9 October 2012 18:00, Alexandro Colorado <jza@oooes.org> wrote:

> On 10/9/12, Ian Lynch <ianrlynch@gmail.com> wrote:
> > OOo had a substantial community marketing project with community members
> > attending key events. How do we improve on that now with AOO?
>
> I remember one of the last activities before OOo was forked and most
>  operations came to a halt, was building a collection of 'approved
>  events'.  we rate them as how strategically important for the
>  marketing plan was, and how much support it would get from the
> previous marketing budget.
>
>  FOSDEM was one of them, as well as OSWC and Latinoware to mention a few.
>
>  We also thought about having dedicated speakers since they were
>  repeatably asked to give talks in their regions and were considered as
>  the "OpenOffice.org guy" in the FLOSS community.
>
>  I am not sure how this activity goes for or against things done on
> Apache Way. But It was one of the ideas of the new Marketing Plan
> (which also was
>  halted).
>
> I think there were some policies on the way the money would be spent
> such as, we could fund up to 50%, and only for traveling and hosting
> (no food or drinks). Other rules were still being put in place.

Before getting into too much detail, what about Louis' suggestion of a
marketing entity that could raise money outside the scope of ASF? Of course
there is nothing to stop anyone setting up such an entity, the question is
the relationship with AOO as part of ASF. The view I have held for a long
time is that some sort of liquid assets even if a relatively small amount
would have a disproportionate effect when it comes to marketing and
dissemination. I'm just not clear how that fits with the Apache Way if at
all.

--
Ian