From Alexandro Colorado <...@oooes.org>
Subject Re: Marketing events: Brochure? Newsletter?
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2012 18:44:47 GMT
On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 2:04 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jza@oooes.org> wrote:
> > On 10/19/12, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:

> website
> paper

> >> Nancy --
> >>
> >> I think an downloadable "brochure" would be a super idea! Unfortunately,
> >> the marketing information via  http://www.openoffice.org/marketing/ --
> "How
> >> to get Involved"
> >>
> >> seems out of date. Please join the marketing mailing list (see info:

> ),
> >> suggest some ideas, and see what others think!
> >
> > This can be easily updated, what is more dificult is trying to get
> > back some of these marketing jobs, specially sources files. These
> > source files makes editing and generating marketing kits more easily.
> >
> > Other communities like Software freedom day has been pretty good on
> > launching new marketing kits, or images. OOo days, there was also some
> > marketing efforts on presenting a similar design for things. Like the
> > wireframe gull or the waves.
> >
> > unfortunately oracle's brand refresh of just using 'white' left us
> > with only the orb as a design element.
> >
> > Apache hasn't really produce much, even with the logo there are some
> > missing pieces. So I think is important at least to have something
> > like brochure sources, newsletters, and such to be able to pull
> > together some marketing efforts.
> >

> Would it make sense to start, maybe on a wiki page, a list of what you
> think we need?  A "want list".  I know that doesn't sound like it
> accomplishes much, but that list would be very useful.  It gives other
> volunteers a framework that they can think of and see how they might
> contribute.

The marketing wiki as well as the site already has a lot more than a wish
list. But the challenge is some of the deliverables which were not always
uploaded to the oo.o domain. Specially since source files were more like
versions and revisions, so they were put to temporary file sharing sites or
personal websites.

I have been talking with drew about some of the flyers we used in the past
for some events at SCALEx6 on 09.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice