From Alexandro Colorado <>
Subject Re: Video from ACEU
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2012 17:33:22 GMT
On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 11:09 AM, Rob Weir <> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 12:05 PM, Ross Gardler
> <> wrote:
> > Since ACEU has sold out cash is available for a few nice extras. One of
> the extras we are considering is recording all video of the various tracks.
> Unfortunately the budget doesn't quite stretch to covering all tracks.
> >
> > The Lucene track is being covered by a third party. Which leaves 5
> tracks.
> >
> > Would the aoo-marketing team be interested in having video for all the
> AOO talks?
> >
> > Cost is around €1500 per track per day (precise cost will depend on how
> many tracks we decide to record). This only includes an HD video recording
> of the speaker. There is no post-production in this so the AOO marketing
> team would need to do something useful with the raw files.
> >
> > Would the aoo-marketing team like to contribute towards the costs to
> ensure the AOO tracks are included?
> >
> The alternatives, which are lesser cost, include:
> 1) Posting the slides
> 2) Having the authors of the presentations do audio narration of their
> presentations in the comfort of their own office and post that, e.g.,
> Camtasia and Youtube.

I like slideshare, is not only better fit for presentations, but slidecast
feature makes it easy to merge the audio with video.

> The download of those approaches is that we don't get a recording of Q&A,
> etc.

3) option is to audio record the conference, by adding a splitter (or a 2nd
output) from the mixer (that hold the mic) to a recording device, whenever
is a phone, or a laptop running audacity.

> I also wonder what % of the track is currently assigned to sessions
> that would not tape well, like open discussions, hacking sessions,
> etc. ?

> And unless we have a sponsor for this, the 1500/day comes out of a
> finite pool of remaining SPI funds.  So having these recordings would
> mean less for travel reimbursements to a future event.

> Honestly, most of the presentations are rather deep technical dives.
> This is a good thing.  But only a small subset of the talks would have
> good potential for marketing value, the general overview and
> future-looking talks.  If there were a way to record just a handful of
> sessions, at a pro-rated cost,  that would be ideal.
> I don't have a really strong opinion on this.   But I would note that
> we've heard recently from a number of people expressing some urgency
> about funding conference attendance for other conferences, and I have
> not heard anyone recently express a desire for session videos.   So I
> wonder if it makes sense to preserve the funds for that, if that is
> where we think the maximum marketing value is?

I think video is important, but nowadays video is so trivial and
inexpensive that it can be done with a smartphone, and a small tripod. Key
is ALWAYS the audio input, so there is a tip to get a top notch audio is to
get it straight from the source (like the mixer) or have the speaker wear a
dictation device or smartphone on his shirt pocket.

> -Rob
> > I'm afraid we have to move fast on this as a decision point as the event
> is next week now.
> >
> > Ross
> >
> > Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
> > OpenDirective