From Graham Lauder <g.a.lau...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AOO Logo concepts
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2012 08:24:11 GMT
On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 8:26 PM, Jürgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 10/25/12 8:56 AM, Graham Lauder wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 12:33 AM, Jürgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@gmail.com
> >wrote:

> >> concepts:
> >>>

> >> to be honest, I think they are all horrible. I don't understand what are
> >> you trying to achieve with this concept drafts.
> >>
> >> Juergen
> >>

> > To be honest I think your statement is horrible and I understand that you
> > won't achieve anything by it.
> >
> > "Horrible" is a statement of personal taste and really has nothing to do
> > with what is trying to be achieved.  In other words if you can't be
> > objective then step away from the keyboard.
>
> exactly and it was simply my personal opinion about the images. Well I
> tend to say what I am thinking. Next time I will simply write a -1 or
> --1;-)
>
> When we design a new logo, it should look modern, it should look new and
> it should be professional. I am sure that some people have the skills to
> create such a logo. But I also know that it is not so easy.
>
> But in these drafts I see nothing, I see that somebody played with a
> graphic program yes but nothing else. I can do the same but the result
> will probably the same.

This is the logo of the largest telecommunications company in NZ

http://www.designassembly.org.nz/articles/telecom-reveals-new-logo

Much the same of what you said was said about it.  However the proof has
been in the pudding and is arguably the most recognised brand in NZ after
Coke and the golden arches.  Subjective has nothing to do with brand, it's
about creating recognition.  One of the problems with OSS projects is that
branding is often the result of subjective reaction like yours without
consideration of brand impact.  Frankly I don't care if the community
"likes" it or not, the prime consideration should be how it performs as a
brand.

Does it demand attention
Is it Unique
Is it instantly recognisable

and then

Does it appeal to the target audience
Is it globally appropriate.

> I would start to collect some ideas and basic elements what a new logo
> should contain, where we want use the logo and do we need.

There is nothing that a logo "needs" to contain, any idea is worth
consideration, needs and use are secondary to the brand of which the logo
is a very small part.  Every idea could be the germ that leads to the
greater idea.  For instance I see in Alexandro's fifth proposal the seeds
of a new pallet.  There is a vibrance in the mix that has some kick to it.
Never dismiss, always look for the stand out idea.

Cheers
GL