From Graham Lauder <g.a.lau...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AOO Logo concepts
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2012 07:56:37 GMT
On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 8:19 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 6:38 AM, Alexandro Colorado <jza@oooes.org> wrote:
> > Just going to put this logo concepts right here, still very rough
> concepts:
> > http://imagebin.org/233080
> > concpet 2
> > http://imagebin.org/233081
> > concept 3 (incomplete)
> > http://imagebin.org/233082
> >

> Interesting approach.  But to me the brush strokes are more for
> drawing than text.  I wonder if it could be made more like an
> old-fashioned pen stroke, like calligraphy:
>
> http://www.stockphotopro.com/photo_of/alphabet/517671NZV/__alphabet__block_

I like the idea of a calligraphic style, it has a certain level of
sophistication while being artistic and conservative but stylish.  I had a
shot at it (very badly) in some of my earlier "Text as Graphic"
demonstrations, but obviously I'm certainly no calligrapher.  It is a
wonderful art form, I have some Japanese examples on my office wall.

As a style, it probably would have a good crossover between home user and
corporate.  Definitely worth further consideration

> Also, I wonder if it is worth having a public logo contest?  So define
> the constraints on the submissions:  allowed formats, font usage, must
> have (TM), etc.   Publicize the contest.  Maybe even have a prize, if
> we can find a sponsor.  Then have a public vote.  Narrow it down to 3
> choices and then the PMC decides.  Or some variation on this.

A contest at this point would probably be best.  In the past contests have
tended to marginalise those that put in the hard graft in the community and
then get ignored in favour of a contest.  However in this case we are more
likely to generate new contributors.

I would however suggest that a vote is not the best way.  Nobody ever got
to vote on a corporate Logo or brand.  We should set up a survey that ranks
subjective criteria while obtaining demographic data from the respondents.
This will give a much better idea of which branding to go with for a target
market.  It may even tell us that we need to have more than one brand, who
knows.  The logo also is only one element of a total brand package.  A
contest should include pallet as well at minimum and branding usage.

Cheers
GL