From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Marketing events
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2012 15:21:49 GMT
Some general comments on a great thread:

- The mission of the ASF is to provide software for the public good; we
do this by providing a home for like-minded community & consensus driven
projects that choose to follow the Apache Way.  As a non-profit, there
are a limited number of specific costs that we will spend our funding
directly on.  This is a significant difference from how the former OOo
project was run by Sun/Oracle.

One important and key difference is that the ASF does not directly fund
project development.  Work on Apache projects is done by volunteers - at
least from the ASF perspective.  [1]

- The ASF does have a Conferences Committee and a Travel Assistance
Committee, which do have budgets.  The primary purpose of these is to
either fund small events, or selected individuals to attend events.  In
both cases, a primary purpose for providing funding is to increase the
pool of active contributors to our projects.  I.e. this funding is
typically focused on ways that can increase the number and quality of
volunteers who are willing to do the work on our projects.

I definitely understand that these points are quite different from the
OOo past, especially in the fact that much of the ASF focus is on
contributors (who may become committers), and not pure end users.

----
I can definitely see space for some outside organization(s) to work on
more evangelizing of AOO, especially providing training and support.
Plenty of other Apache projects have groups of commercial companies
doing exactly this, usually quite happily.  The one difference in most
cases is they're typically focused on business customers - i.e. the
CIO/CTO or VP, Engineering of companies using Apache projects.  That is
a little different from AOO, which has many more individuals and pure
end users.

There does need to be a clear respect for branding between the ASF/AOO
and outside organizations.  But there are plenty of examples from other
Apache projects where the outside organizations can show their support
without stepping over the line.  We can work on that topic, once some
folks have some more specific plans they want to implement.

- Shane